Thursday, November 02, 2006

 

An open letter to John Kerry

* This is not a political blog. I have, in fact discouraged political discourse here. I'm not arguing with Mr. Kerry's politics. I simply have something I would like to say. Feel free to respond in comments, but I would prefer this not turn into a political debate. Please understand that I would be upset with anyone who made the remarks that Mr. Kerry did, even GWB.













Never let it be said that soldiers don't have a sense of humor!


Dear Mr. Kerry,

Words have power. Especially when the media keeps being foolish enough to broadcast your words.

Allow me to quote you: "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well.
If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

Now, your claim is that your remarks were targeted at the current administration. That's all well and good but I don't entirely believe you. If, however, that was the case, you really have no business speaking in public, because you're not very good at making yourself clear.

You've accused people of deliberately misinterpreting your words. I've read that quote over and over and I can't see how you could have been talking about George Bush. After all, you both graduated from Yale, only he had a higher GPA than you. He's not an uneducated man.

I don't wish for this to turn into a defense of George Bush, mostly because I don't believe you were really talking about him, but I do give you points for trying to turn it around once you realized how badly your comments were received.

Let me explain why I'm taking your comments personally. I, as much as anyone, wish we were no longer in Iraq. Why? My 19 year old son is a soldier, a calvary scout to be specific. He is not in Iraq, but there is every possibility that he will end up there. Of course, I would rather he didn't. However, if he were to get orders to go there, he would. He wouldn't shirk from his duty.

It's obvious by his age that he joined during this conflict. That's right, he joined knowing full well that his country was at war and that he might be required to join the fight. He's a good man and a good son and a good citizen.

So, bash Bush all you want. I'm okay with that. But keep your mouth off my kid and his fellow troops.

























My soldier and his baby brother.

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?